Sunday, November 7, 2010

Review: Comfort Food at Kiki's in New Boston, NH

New Boston isn't exactly known for being the dining hot spot of the state so I didn't know what to expect at Kiki's but since I recently moved to town, it's been on my radar. It ended up being a great find! I'm psyched that in a town with limited food possibilities - I have a sure thing I can bring friends or family to when visiting.

The restaurant shares it's parking lot with the Gravity Tavern and the inside of the restaurant is a very rustic style mill/barn but is super cozy, warm and comfortable. J and I have been there on two different Saturdays recently and both times we had great service - not just from our waitress but were also treated very well by the hostesses, and even Chef Jason stopped by our table to see how things were. There's no snottiness or pretension here.

The menu had a lot of variety to it. They offer casual comfort food like Fish and Chips, Shepherds Pie and Macaroni and Cheese but then they also offer slightly more fancier entrees that change seasonally, like Butternut Squash Ravioli in a light maple cream sauce and Thyme Crusted Scallops that come with risotto, swiss chard and a pumpkin gastric. They also had plenty of appetizers, salads and kids meals to choose from. You could go here with several picky eaters and find something that everyone was happy eating.

The first time we stopped in at Kiki's, I started off with the French Onion soup, which came out piping hot and was delicious (and comforting on a chilly night), with lots of caramelized onions and crunchy crouton pieces to soak up the broth.

J started off with the house salad which came in this cute little round circle, it's shape held together by a long thin piece of cucumber. It was tossed with a mustardy balsamic vinaigrette. J said it was very good, the dressing especially (although there was a little too much dressing on it).

I had the Tavern Martini -a greygoose dirty martini with olives stuffed with jalapeno. Thumbs up to the olives. Salty and spicy worked nicely together. I probably could have eaten a whole bowl of them and been happy. The martini was a lot watered down and not by olive juice (there was hardly a drop in there). I don't know how that happens - either restaurants intentionally add water to their drinks to save money or keep you from getting drunk or they're using a cocktail shaker with melted ice in it. Either way, that's not a cool practice if I'm paying for a premium vodka at a premium price (and in only a 5 oz glass).

For our dinners the first night, J got the Grilled Rib-eye that was dressed in a mushroom bourbon sauce and served with Brussels sprouts and steak cut potatoes. It was very good (because J let's me taste everything)but I noticed it wasn't very hot. J said the same thing, nothing was cold but it definitely had been sitting for a bit and since the restaurant wasn't very busy, that's kind of a bummer.

I had the Chicken Saltimbocca for my meal. The scaloppini were perfectly tender and the marsala sauce was slightly sweet and buttery, just the way a marsala should be and there was just enough prosciutto and mozzarella. The wild mushroom risotto was tasty but if I didn't know it was supposed to be risotto I would have thought it was just very herby rice with mushrooms. The herb flavors were very very strong (and I love my herbs!) and the rice wasn't creamy at all, the way a risotto should be. It was tasty but I certainly would not call it risotto. I still enjoyed the meal.

We shared German Chocolate cake for dessert - it was very good.

The second time we went to Kiki's, I had the fish and chips and J the prime rib - both were also very good. Good to know they can do both casual and fine food well.

Saturday nights, they offer $10 off a bottle of wine - a great deal considering their wines are already very reasonably priced.

Why am I not giving them 5 stars? The watered down Martini is a bummer. For $10 I want to have some vodka. And the risotto should be creamier and be a touch lighter on the herbs.

I will definitely be putting Kiki's on my list of regular go-to restaurants. Good job New Boston!

1 comments:

Newyorkerbyheart said...

My God, it sounds GREAT! :-)
I miss Boston, it's such a great City....

My best,
Birthe from Denmark